Sunday, February 16, 2014

Learning to Pick

So you have seen American pickers and you want to do what they do.  Well...  I am hear to tell you it is not at all glamorous.  But anyone can make money at it and it is easy to start.  I thought about picking for a long time before I started.  The reason I never started was analysis paralysis.  I started to do research on stuff that sells and the more I learned the more I realized was out there.  I thought that I had to be an expert in antiques and collectibles before I started so the project went on the back burner for many, many years.  Then something happened.  I got my first smart phone and data plan.  Now the whole world was at my fingertips most anywhere.  Enough about me on to the meat .....

Beginning

Go where the stuff is.  Go to yard sales, thrift stores, flea markets etc.  Look for items that you like and would buy.  Start with your knowledge and then expand over time.

Apps

How do I know what will sell?  Easy.  Download the E-bay app, do a search of sold items only.  When you are out and see an item that you like discreetly search on ebay for the item.  Please keep in mind that you will not always get the top price so make sure there is room for profit.  I usually have to have at least 5 times what I payed for the item in profit, sometimes I get 30 time what I payed for it.

This is easy I will be a millionaire soon....

I know it seems easy, especially when you find an item that sells for 30 times what you payed, make sure to keep up with gas spent, e-bay fees, shipping etc..  It is also a lot of work, very few ever make a full time living off of it, and the ones that do work like a dog.  It can be fun and profitable though, anyone can make a little extra each week with minimal time.

Finding Products

Finding products is the easy part, selling them is what will make or break you.  Just because an item has sold in the past does not mean it will sell in the future.  I have items that I have had for many months that I cannot give away :).  I love picking, it is a lot of fun.  I hate the selling part, but it is necessary.  Without devoting time to selling you are not picking.  You are hoarding.  Watch an episode of hoarders to see where that will get you.

I will not give you specific products, or tell you how to sell on e-bay.  that part is up to you.  The tools I have given you is more than enough to get you started.  If you want the money you will take this and go out and make something happen.  I did and many others have as well.  I believe this is one of the cheapest and easiest part time jobs to start.  I hope you get as much enjoyment and profit as I have.  It has changed my life, this is what has inspired my business.

No comments: